Family Weekend Future Dates:
- September 22-24, 2023
- September 20-22, 2024
Family Weekend is an ideal time for you, our families, to experience Luther College and to explore Decorah. We invite you and your entire family to let your student be your host as we gather as a community both on campus and in the surrounding area. The weekend will be packed with athletic competitions (go Norse!), concerts, an all-college picnic, hiking and biking, shops and restaurants to explore, and so much more. We hope you’ll be able to join us!
GOOD TO KNOW: Make your lodging reservations as soon as possible - area places may have availability, but we don't recommend waiting too long! Go to visitdecorah.com and click on "stay more" for an updated list of area hotels, motels, cabins, Airbnbs, VRBOS, and campgrounds - Decorah has plenty to offer!
In addition to catching up with your student and participating in events on campus, you may be wondering what you might do in Decorah and we've got some ideas:
- Hit the Luther Bookshop to stock (or restock) your Luther gear.
- Take a look at the view of the Valley from the deck of Dahl Centennial Union.
- Check out downtown Decorah and take advantage of the restaurants, ice cream and pizza joints, coffee shops, and sports bars both downtown and in the surrounding area, many owned by Luther grads, offering a wide variety of cuisines from all over. We recommend reservations at most places - call ahead to check for sure!
- Pack your hiking shoes or bicycles(you can also rent bicycles!), you can hit the trails early and still make lunch! With miles and miles of trails over the rolling hills as well as up into the bluffs, you can really get lost in this part of the Driftless Region. We also recommend visiting two of our favorite parks: Dunning's Spring and Phelps Park.
- Learn a bit about Decorah's heritage by stopping in at the Vesterheim Museum (they also have a new outdoor area that is lovely).
- With nearly every storefront full, downtown Decorah is bursting with retailers, offering nearly everything you might need to check some things off your holiday shopping list (no, it's not too early). Clothing stores, gift shops, arts and crafts suppliers, candle shops, a food co-op, bookstores, and much more!