Peter John Lupori was born on December 12, 1918, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. In 1926-27, Lupori attended school in Florence, Italy. Following graduation from high school in Pittsburgh, Lupori studied art with John Donald and William Reed. He received his BFA degree from the Carnegie Institute of Technology in 1942 with a major in sculpture.
During World War II, Lupori was a lieutenant in the 605th Engineer Camouflage and Engineer Combat Battalions, discharged as a Captain. After his army service, he earned an M.Ed. in art education and became an Instructor in Art at the University of Minnesota, Extension Division, and the Colleges of St. Catherine and St. Thomas in Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota. He began exhibiting his works in various competitions, winning awards and receiving commissions. In 1961, he was named Professor of Art and artist-in-residence at the College of St. Catherine. He also was a visiting sculptor at various institutions such as Clemson University (Clemson, South Carolina) and several elementary schools. Lupori retired from teaching in 1992.
Lupori’s art works have been purchased by various museums, churches and hospitals, including the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota. A retrospective of his works was held at the College of St. Catherine in 1993 after his retirement. There are seven works by Peter Lupori in the Luther College Fine Arts Collection. These three sculptures, two ink drawings, and two scratchboard drawings were donated by William Heintz in 1997 and are part of the Heintz Collection.
Full list of Peter John Lupori works in the Fine Arts Collection